Many years ago, I decided I wanted to start sewing. I was interested in both making my own clothes and learning to quilt. While I had a sewing machine that I had gotten for one of my birthdays, the last time I had sewn anything was in my eighth grade family studies class. I believe I made a pair of shorts that didn’t fit very well. I never really got very far with my sewing ambitions. I had bought some clothing patterns and some fabric, but the only thing I actually made was one or two quilt blocks.
A few years ago, my interest in sewing was peaked again, mainly by co-workers who were also crafty people. My boyfriend (the amazing person that he is) bought me a sewing machine for Christmas in 2014. Unfortunately, it sat around for a year and a half before I actually pulled it out of the box and used it. Not wanting to spend a ton of money while improving my sewing skills, I got some fabric from Walmart and tried my hand at quilting for the second time. I managed to get a few blocks done, and while the quilt blocks look alright, they probably would have been better had I also bought some useful tools, primarily a ruler, a rotary cutter, and a cutting mat. All of which are making my current quilt project much easier.
After realizing the error of my quilting ways, I now have a cutting mat, rotary cutter, and a ruler. I have put the quilt I was making aside, though I have enough fabric left from what I have done, that I can start over if I go back to it. I have since started another one with a fat quarter bundle which I also bought from Walmart. (I have some nice quilt shop fabric that I can’t wait to use, once I have gotten some practice and improved my skills)
Using my rotary cutter, I cut each fat quarter into 6″ squares. Each square was paired with a 6″ white square, sewn together and then cut in half diagonally, creating squares that are half printed fabric and half white. I decided to arrange the squares so that the printed fabric created a diamond fabric.
After sewing all my blocks together, I read a couple of websites on the best way to baste the quilt together. Following the information that I read, I taped my backing fabric to the floor, then laid out the batting and quilt top, making sure everything was centered.
Once my quilt was basted together, I attached the walking foot to my sewing machine and proceeded to sew my quilt together by stitching in the ditch, which turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would.
While there are definitely mistakes, overall I am pretty happy with my first attempt at making a quilt.