Knitting

The Unfinished Projects

I have a bad habit of starting a knitting project, and then getting bored and putting it aside, usually when I get to the point of having to put a sweater together.

Currently, I have at least three projects that I have started over the last few years that are sitting around waiting to be finished.

About six years ago, I started an off-the-shoulder pattern from the Vogue Knitting website.  I got the front and back of the sweater knit up and blocked. Now it is just waiting to be seamed together, and the neck and cuffs need to be picked up and knit.  It has been hibernating for the last five years. Hopefully, one day soon, I will get the motivation to finish it.  And hopefully, the sweater will still fit me.

Off-the-Shoulder Pullover from the Vogue Knitting website

Two and a half years ago I started the Holl sweater, even though the Vogue sweater needed to be finished.  I loved (and still love) a lot of the designs on the Brooklyn Tweed website, and the Holl pattern looked quick and easy to knit, and very wearable.  I easily knit up the pieces, including the sleeves, and blocked everything.  This project then sat around for the last two years before I decided I should try to finish it.  I attached the sleeves to the body of the sweater, and seamed up one side. That was a couple of months ago.  I still have to seam up the other side, and weave in the ends.  Of all the projects waiting to be finished, this is the one that is most likely to get done.

Holl sweater from Brooklyn Tweed’s Wool People 1 collection.

The most recent project I have worked on and set aside is the Earl sweater by Amy Miller.  Unlike the others, the body is knit in one piece, and the sleeves are picked up, so very little seaming needed.  Unfortunately, I knit this in a natural yarn which would have looked really nice, except I had a couple of discoloured skeins sitting in the bag that had all my yarn, and one evening (in a dimly lit room) when I needed to switch to a new skein, I accidentally grabbed one of the discoloured ones.  The top of my sweater is a dingy yellowed natural colour compared to the bottom.  In order to make this sweater wearable I will have to dye it.  This has reduced my desire to finish this sweater. Lesson learned though, don’t switch skeins of yarn at night in a dimly lit room if you care about having a nice even colour throughout.

My most successful, and motivating sweater, was the Harrison sweater which didn’t require any seaming.  I knit it all up in the round, picking up stitches where needed for the sleeves and neck, wove all the ends in, and voila it is a wearable sweater.  I think I will stick to sweaters that are knit in the round where possible, though there are a few patterns on the Brooklyn Tweed website that I have my eye on.

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: